Wednesday, June 21, 2017

What is Enough?

     Where do I begin...where does anyone begin to express the deep emotions of a difficult time?  As many of you know, we lost a dear friend and fellow missionary, Janella Zimmerman, in a vehicle accident on May 6.  We are hurting.  And we are trusting.  Trusting that God's will is perfect, and He doesn't make mistakes.  Trusting we will meet together in heaven, because the blood of Jesus has been applied to our lives.
      We were very thankful that our family was able to go back to IL for the funeral.  While there, I was talking to a dear woman who had recently lost her husband.  In our brief conversation, she looked at me with tears glistening in here eyes, and she said with deep conviction, "I have learned that when God is all you have, He is enough."  And ever since that day, I have been pondering that thought in my head; "What is enough?"   I look back at our past year,  and I can almost get overwhelmed at all the tough times we've been through.  I'm sure many of you have had years like that.  So, through the dark valleys, discouragement, frustration, exhaustion and grief, can we say with feeling, "God is enough!"?  Enough, to me, does not mean happiness or wealth or health or sleep-ful nights.  Perhaps God provides some of those things in the midst of our storms, but, "enough" does not encompass all those things.  When God is enough, it doesn't mean He promises all those things! 
      Recently I was reading in 2 Corinthians chapter 4, and I realized verses 8 and 9 talk about God being enough:  We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed (God is enough); we are perplexed, but not in despair (God is enough); persecuted, but not forsaken (God is enough) cast down, but not destroyed (God is enough).  (I added parentheses).  So, at the end of the day, I believe "enough" means HOPE!  If we confess with our mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in our hearts that God has raised him from the dead, WE HAVE HOPE (from Romans 10:9&10).  And, this HOPE is an anchor for our souls, both sure and steadfast (from Hebrews 6:19).  We can go through hurricanes, mental or physical challenges, discouragement, persecutions, loss of loved ones, etc, etc, and if we have HOPE--a confident expectation---in eternal life with Jesus, God will ALWAYS be enough!
      I would love to discuss your thoughts on what "enough" means to you in your life.  Our family will be in IL on furlough during the month of July, and we hope to see many of you then!

We have spent many precious times with David, Janella, Orrin and Cassia during the last 2 1/2 years, so we decided to add a few pictures of our memories with them.  Please keep this dear family in your prayers.
     
We first started to get to know the D and J at our missionary orientation during the summer of '14.
 
 
This was during a visit from some our Hospital Lumiere board members.
 
David's Mom was here for a visit, so they all came over for supper.
 
Easter Brunch at Plattner's--2016
 
Janella and I were in a Haitian singing group.
 
Lots of good times were centered around food!
 
Mystery dinner at Klop's.
 
ROAD TRIP!!!!
 
We discovered this BBQ place together in Petionville!
 
Great memories of this weekend get-away we had together!
 
Bath time in our sink :)
 
 
 
Hangin' out at the guest house.
 
I baby sat Cass one morning, and she fell asleep in my arms.  I decided I had nothing better to do for the next couple hours than sit in the rocking chair and hold her!  It was precious!
 
 
 
Christmas baking at our house!  Notice Orrin is eating lettuce instead of cookies!  How many other four year olds do you know like him?  Cracks me up!
 
Orrin fit right in with the big boys!
 
Just a relaxing evening together at the Zimm's house!
 
Pizza on the grill on our porch.
 
Game night!
 
More games.
 
We love a house full!
 
Little princess
 
In April I hosted an impromptu tea party with the ladies and kids.  We are all thankful for the special time shared with Janella that day.
 
On Easter we hosted a sunset singing on our patio.
 
Thanking God for many sweet memories.


 



1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories of Janella! Still continue to pray for all of you!

    ReplyDelete